Lutein and zeaxanthin have been found to be essential for eye health, especially for the retina.
This nutrient-packed salad contains brussels sprouts and broccoli, both great sources of nutrients for retinal health. The anchovies and almonds also add a great omega-3 component, making this salad a healthy and delicious side dish for any holiday meal!
- 1 small head or 1/2 of a large head of broccoli
- 6 oz. brussels sprouts, trimmed, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more
- 2 oil-packed anchovy fillets (optional)
- 1/2 oz. Parmesan, finely grated, plus more, shaved, for serving
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Castelvetrano olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- Trim broccoli stalk and peel. Starting at the crown, thinly slice the broccoli head, including the stalk (you can slice both broccoli and brussels sprouts in a food processor). Combine broccoli and brussels sprouts in a large bowl and toss with 1/2 tsp. salt. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Chop anchovies (optional), then mash to a paste with the side of a chef's knife. Combine anchovies, grated Parmesan, oil, and lemon juice in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over slaw; toss to coat. Serve topped with olives, almonds, and shaved Parmesan.