As you've well figured out by now, optometry school is expensive! Unfortunately, in a recent CNBC article, optometry takes the #1 spot in "degrees that leave people drowning in debt." But, don't let this get you down!
There are things that you can do to control your student loan debt... you don't need to be the optometry status quo!
- Start early by creating a plan for aggressively paying off your loans as quickly as possibly
- Plan a budget (and stick to it!) that will enable you to achieve your goals
- In the early years, live way below your means and channel that extra cash into loan repayment (you've done that throughout school, what's a few more years?!)
- Balance retirement investment and loan repayment so that you may also plan for your future
- Consider refinancing your student loans to get a better percentage rate so that more of your payment goes toward the principal